Do you have questions?

Get answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Towed Vehicles

For information on vehicles towed by the Atlanta Police Department, please visit All parking tickets must be paid before the vehicle is released from APD impound. If your vehicle has been towed or impounded, please contact the APD Property Unit at (404) 546-4330.

For information on Vehicles Towed or Booted by A-Tow, please note that all parking tickets must be paid before the booted or towed vehicle is released along with any additional boot and tow fees.

If you vehicle has been booted please contact customer service at (888) 266-1360.

Pay by telephone using MasterCard or VISA 24 hours per day, 7 days per week by calling (888) 266-1360.

Pay on the Internet using MasterCard or VISA 24 hours per day, 7 days per week at

Pay in person using cash, check, credit/debit card, or money order at the Municipal Court of Atlanta at 150 Garnett Street, S.W., Atlanta, GA 30303. Monday-Friday, 7:30 am-5:30pm, except city holidays.

Pay in person using cash, check, credit/debit card, or money order at A-Tow, Inc., 180 Harriet Street Atlanta, GA 30315.

If you vehicle has been towed please contact A-Tow at (404) 577-6566. Payment must be made in person at: A Tow, Inc., 180 Harriet Street, Atlanta, GA 30315; Visa, MasterCard, Money Order and Cash Only. All towed vehicles by A-Tow can be viewed here. Please have your VIN or License Plate available.
How do I resolve my failure to appear (FTA)    

How do I resolve my failure to appear (FTA)

To address your FTA, you must appear in person at the Municipal Court of Atlanta. You may either (1) resolve your case by paying the fine (if it is a charge listed on the Traffic Violations Bureau list) or (2) register to appear before a judge in court. To determine which option(s) you are eligible for depends on when you received the FTA.

If you are within thirty (30) days of your missed court date, you may choose either option. Please note that not all offenses are eligible for payment. To determine if your offense is payable, please find the Traffic Violation Bureau Fine & Fee Schedule, here. Also note, additional court fees & FTA fines may be assessed.

If you are beyond thirty (30) days of your court date, you must register to appear before a judge. If you must appear before a judge, it will not occur on your registration date. You will receive a notice to appear in the mail at your designated date and time for FTA Court.

Please note that you must appear in person to either pay the fine or register for FTA Court. No actions can be handled online or via the telephone.

Failure To Appear (FTA) Court

FTA Court is a specialty court that will hear a case in FTA and/or warrant status. If you have missed your court date, you are in FTA and/or warrant status. You must register in person at the Municipal Court of Atlanta to appear before a judge in court. You will receive a notice to appear in the mail at your designated date and time for FTA Court.

All court notices will be mailed to the address on the citation. If you wish to update your address with the Court, please submit a “Change of Address” Form here prior to requesting to participate in FTA Court.

Do I have a Failure To Appear (FTA)

If you have missed your court date, you are in FTA and/or warrant status. Please see the section titled “How do I resolve my FTA” for further information on resolving your FTA and/or warrant.


Your court date can be found on the bottom of your citation. For up-to-date information regarding your case, click here.


If your court date is ten (10) days or more away from the date, you may be eligible for a courtesy reset. You may not request a reset if: your case is within ten (10) days, you have previously submitted a reset request, your case is set for a status/trial or you are in failure to appear (FTA) and/or warrant status.

Requests that meet the criteria will receive a notice of their reset court date in the mail, however you may check online for real time updates concerning your case. To submit your reset request click here. Please note all fields must be legible and completed or the request will not be processed. Requests that do not meet the criteria outlined above will not be processed and you must appear on your court date.

My license was suspended for a Failure to Appear. What do I need to do?

If you missed your court date for either a criminal or traffic citation, you must make an appearance before a judge at a Failure to Appear (FTA) hearing. Then your driver’s license may be reinstated according to the below guidelines.

Obtain a 912 license reinstatement form or clearance letter from the court. Take the 912 form or clearance letter to the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) to have your driving privileges reinstated. There will be an additional fee which is payable to the Georgia Department of Driver Services. Only the DDS can reinstate your driving privileges.

For more info on the Georgia Department of Driver Services: Phone (678) 413-8400


When is my court date?

Your court date is written on your ticket. On handwritten citations, refer to section IV. You can also look up your case to confirm your court date.

Do I have to appear in court?

Search for your case here, call (404) 658-6940 or use our online payment website to see if your ticket can be paid and resolved without a court appearance.

If you are an out of state driver you may be eligible to enter a Plea in Abstentia. If you are still unsure you should contact the court about your case before the schedule court date.

Can I change my court date?

In some instances it is possible to change your court date. Click here to make your request. You can also mail a letter stating why you cannot make your court appearance, and ask for a new court date. Submit your letter to the clerk's office at the Municipal Court of Atlanta, 150 Garnett Street, SW Atlanta, GA 30303. Please keep in mind, that the court is not obligated to grant your new court date request. It is your responsibility to contact the clerk's office to find out if your request for a new court date has been granted.

What should I do on my court date?

Arrive early. You should plan to arrive early for your case to compensate for any unexpected delays. Once you arrive in court, you will pass through a mandatory security check before being allowed to enter.

Identify your court room. To locate the court room where your case will be heard, find your name on one of the information screens in the main lobby. You can also ask for assistance at the information windows located in the main lobby or the Help Desk.

Proceed to your courtroom. Courtrooms are located on the 1st (one floor down from the entrance), 3rd, 5th and 6th floors. Elevators are located to the left of the information windows in the main lobby. There is also a staircase near the security station in the main lobby.

Check in with courtroom staff. Each courtroom has staff that can give you more information about your case. Check in with them to learn more about what will be required of you. Be advised that court staff, solicitors and the Judge cannot give you legal advice. Please consult an attorney or a public defender if you have a legal question regarding your case.

Turn off your phone and other electronic devices. Remain attentive and do not disturb court proceedings. There may be other cases heard in the same court room that you have been assigned.

What are the possible outcomes of my case?

If you enter a guilty plea or a nolo contendere plea you will be required to satisfy the ruling of the court. This may include paying a fine, payable by cash, debit, or credit card. Some offenses can also result in jail time, including mandatory jail time under certain circumstances. You can also be ordered to complete community service or educational programs at the discretion of the judge.

If you request a jury trial, your case will be turned over to Fulton County Court. If found not guilty after trial your case is closed.

Your case may also be reset for a future date.

What happens if my license is suspended because of a Failure to Appear (FTA)?

You will need to appear in court to clear your FTA. After disposition of your case, you will need to reinstate your license at the Department of Driver Services (DDS). For more information, visit the DDS website.

If the court has issued a warrant for your arrest based on the FTA, you are at risk of arrest until the warrant has been cleared by the Judge who issued the Warrant.

If you are an out of state driver and need to schedule a time to resolve your FTA, please submit your request here.

What is TRIP?

The T.R.I.P. legislation allows Georgia courts to submit debt on behalf of eligible parties to the Georgia Department of Revenue.  Read more here.