Do you have questions?

Get answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the Court open?

The Municipal Court of Atlanta is open to the public. The court is following the Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines to ensure proper distancing between the public and our staff.

Towed Vehicles

Information regarding vehicles towed by the Atlanta Police Department can be obtained by visiting the APD Impounded Vehicle Locator link below. If your vehicle has been towed or impounded, please contact the APD Property Unit at (404) 546-4330. The Atlanta Police Department Property Control Unit is located at 3493 Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway Atlanta, Georgia 30331. Please note that all parking tickets must be paid before the vehicle is released from the APD impound. For additional information on impounded vehicles, please click HERE.

What happens if I miss my court date?

Missing your court date is a serious offense. If you miss your court date for either a criminal or traffic citation, you are in failure to appear (FTA) status and a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest. In addition, your driver’s license may be suspended. If you are pulled over by an officer, you will be arrested.

What do I need to do?

You may be able to avoid further penalties by scheduling an appearance before a judge at a Failure to Appear (FTA) hearing.

Failure To Appear(FTA) Court

You may address your Failure to Appear (FTA) with The Municipal Court of Atlanta Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis. License reinstatement instructions will be provided at the time you resolve your FTA. Failing to appear may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. If you are an out of state driver and you need to schedule a time to resolve your FTA please submit your request here. You may be charged a FTA fee for missing your original court date. If you have a valid medical excuse or documentation of being incarcerated, bring evidence to your new court date. Please note that if you appear in court the Traffic Violation Bureau (TVB) fine listed may not apply. However, the judge may order a fine amount which may be more or less than the TVB fine amount paid prior to court. Please contact the court for more information on how this may affect you.

Do I have an FTA?

Click the link above to search the status of your case(s).

Suspension of license due to Failure to Appear (FTA) in Court

Georgia Code requires the following penalties for those failing to appear in court for traffic violations. 375-3-3-.12 Suspension of License for Failure to Appear (a) Suspension. The Department shall suspend the driver’s license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle in this state of any person who has failed to respond to a citation to appear before a court of competent jurisdiction of this state or of any other state for a traffic violation other than a parking violation. The Department shall forthwith notify such person that his license is to be suspended subject to review as provided for by law.

My license was suspended for a Failure to Appear. What do I need to do?

If you missed your court date for either a criminal or traffic citation, you must make an appearance before a judge at a Failure to Appear (FTA) hearing. Then your driver’s license may be reinstated according to the below guidelines.

Obtain a 912 license reinstatement form or clearance letter from the court. Take the 912 form or clearance letter to the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) to have your driving privileges reinstated. There will be an additional fee which is payable to the Georgia Department of Driver Services. Only the DDS can reinstate your driving privileges.

For more info on the Georgia Department of Driver Services: Phone (678) 413-8400 www.dds.ga.gov


When is my court date?

Your court date is written on your ticket. On handwritten citations, refer to section IV. You can also look up your case to confirm your court date.

Do I have to appear in court?

Search for your case here, call (404) 658-6940 or use our online payment website to see if your ticket can be paid and resolved without a court appearance.

If you are an out of state driver you may be eligible to enter a Plea in Abstentia. If you are still unsure you should contact the court about your case before the schedule court date.

Can I change my court date?

Please be advised that the citation issued is your official summons to appear in court on the set date and time. Reset requests for a new court date may be requested no later than ten (10) days prior to the scheduled court date. Reset request forms can be completed in person at the Municipal Court or downloaded online and mailed in. If your case is reset for a new court date, you will receive a notice in the mail and the date will be displayed online under events. A reset request is not guaranteed and may result in an FTA if not approved by the Judge. Reset Request Options: In Person: Located on the main floor of the Municipal Court at 150 Garnett Street, SW, Atlanta, GA 30303. Monday – Friday 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. 404-658-6940 ***Please note reset requests can NOT be made over the phone or online***

What should I do on my court date?

Arrive early. You should plan to arrive early for your case to compensate for any unexpected delays. Once you arrive in court, you will pass through a mandatory security check before being allowed to enter.

Identify your court room. To locate the court room where your case will be heard, find your name on one of the information screens in the main lobby. You can also ask for assistance at the information windows located in the main lobby or the Help Desk.

Proceed to your courtroom. Courtrooms are located on the 1st (one floor down from the entrance), 3rd, 5th and 6th floors. Elevators are located to the left of the information windows in the main lobby. There is also a staircase near the security station in the main lobby.

Check in with courtroom staff. Each courtroom has staff that can give you more information about your case. Check in with them to learn more about what will be required of you. Be advised that court staff, solicitors and the Judge cannot give you legal advice. Please consult an attorney or a public defender if you have a legal question regarding your case.

Turn off your phone and other electronic devices. Remain attentive and do not disturb court proceedings. There may be other cases heard in the same court room that you have been assigned.

What are the possible outcomes of my case?

If you enter a guilty plea or a nolo contendere plea you will be required to satisfy the ruling of the court. This may include paying a fine, payable by cash, debit, or credit card. Some offenses can also result in jail time, including mandatory jail time under certain circumstances. You can also be ordered to complete community service or educational programs at the discretion of the judge.

If you request a jury trial, your case will be turned over to Fulton County Court. If found not guilty after trial your case is closed.

Your case may also be reset for a future date.

What happens if my license is suspended because of a Failure to Appear (FTA)?

You will need to appear in court to clear your FTA. After disposition of your case, you will need to reinstate your license at the Department of Driver Services (DDS). For more information, visit the DDS website.

If the court has issued a warrant for your arrest based on the FTA, you are at risk of arrest until the warrant has been cleared by the Judge who issued the Warrant.

If you are an out of state driver and need to schedule a time to resolve your FTA, please submit your request here.

What is TRIP?

The T.R.I.P. legislation allows Georgia courts to submit debt on behalf of eligible parties to the Georgia Department of Revenue.